Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Day 6 in the NICU

The babies are all doing great. And I am doing ok. No one told me how hard it would be to leave my three babies at the hospital. I was happy about getting to go home after the 69 days away from my older 3 kids and Doug. But on Monday when it was almost time to leave the hospital I realized that me going home meant me leaving my babies behind and that was so painful. When a woman goes in to have a baby she is usually there for a few hours gives birth then a couple days later her and baby head home. Well that is not the way it happened for us instead I went into the hospital 9 weeks ago and then gave birth to 3 wonderful babies and 4 days later I go home and the babies stay there. I was heart broken. I do not think I have ever cried that much in my whole life. Thank goodness I was able to go back and see the girls last night and almost all day today. I am just selfish and want my babies to be with me at all times. I know this will happen soon just not right now. The girls really are doing great. Vivi is now off her feeding tube (only has it in during feeding instead of 24 hours a day) she is feeding very well with very little coming back. She is taking 12 cc's every 3 hours. She is also off her billiruban light blanket and off her nasal cannula just breathing room air with no tubes. I can see her little face now without tubes it is so sweet. She is having very little A and B problems (after a few shots of caffeine). Lexie is also doing great. She is our super star feeder she is up to 19 cc's with no feeding issues. She is also off the light blanket. She is still on the feeding tube and nasal cannula but should be off soon. Charlie is off her billirubin light and should be off her blanket tomorrow. She came off the nasal tube today but more than likely will go back on it for the evening she had 4 Brady's in a 3 hour period this afternoon. She is also a great eater I think she is up to 17 cc's during feeds. Way to go girls!!!!!!!!!!! Since they are doing so great I got to hold them again today and this time it was for kangaroo care (where they lay skin to skin on my chest) for 30 minutes. It was so peaceful! They slept the whole time and I was in heaven. I have also had a chance to change all three of their diapers at least once each and I have gotten to take their temp. I am getting the hang of this breast pump thing but it is still very time consuming. But the girls do love the milk!!!! So far they have not had to have any formula they have all either had my breast milk or milk from the donor milk bank. (another great benefit of living in a wonderful city like Austin. This post is more for my babies when they get older than anything. Because let's be honest no way am I going to get three baby books finished but I will be able to print the blog 3 times. LOL Have a good day everyone! Sherry

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Not selfish at all to want to take your babies home with you. THat is very hard!! To leave without them. I hope you are resting some and taking time to heal. Don't let the 3 big ones run you down yet :) Can't wait to meet the girls!